Tuesday, March 24, 2009

And finally, the knowledge bit

The subheading of my blog title is "needlework, knowledge, and the thunder of eight not-so-little feet." I've noticed recently that I've posted mainly about family stuff, a little about fiber stuff, and not at all about books or other knowledge gained. Now is the time to fix that.

In a non-book format most of what I've been learning lately is of a political nature and I really don't want to get into that here as that's not the point of this blog. So, although that has been interesting and often enlightening, it doesn't particularly count, even though there has been much knowledge gained. A lot of the reason there hasn't been much book reading going on is that our library was closed for renovations until a week ago. Usually I would have been going to the used book store or Barnes & Nobel and the like but, with my Beloveds doctor's appointments and the oddness that is life after a cancer diagnosis in the family, it just didn't seem all that important. And then, last week, the library reopened.

I checked out four non-fiction books, one American graphic novel, and one manga from a series I'd never read. This is a fairly common amount of books for me to check out as we get two weeks of check-out and a one week grace period. I tend to treat that as meaning a three week check-out, but I probably shouldn't.

So far I have read two of the non-fiction and the manga and started both of the other non-fiction but put one aside when it seemed too depressing to read right now. My Beloved and oldest daughter have read the graphic novel, a compilation of Conan the Barbarian comics from the 70's so I haven't been able to get near it yet. Beloved has also read one of the non-fiction that I've read. It is titled Problem Solving 101 and was originally written in a push for Japanese school-children to focus more on problem solving skills than plain fact memorization. Interestingly enough, he thinks that the book and the corporate training his company started recently have a common background. I'll have to see if I can get the two oldest to read it in the remaining two weeks. Oops, one week and then I renew...yeah, that's the good library patron way.

No comments: