Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Old friends and security blankets

The bamboo fiber I've been spinning has taken me a month or more to finish the four ounces. Even though I love the colors and think I'll really enjoy knitting the project I have planned for it I haven't particularly liked the spinning process. My plan was to put the wheel up once I finished but as I was winding the yarn off I realized that I just can't put it away for what would most likely be several months. Part of it is that I need a low-manual-dexterity activity to offset all the moving stuff I need to do to get the house ready. The other part is that with so much either undecided or completely out of our control I need something familiar and soothing to offset. I hadn't really thought about it before but it's possible that my wheel is my oldest possession. I know that I have several small gifts from childhood but I'm pretty sure that the wheel is the oldest item that I chose and purchased myself.

No comments: