Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Alas, poor shower


Yeah, that's completely out of context, given that I prefer baths and thus don't know the shower well. In fact, if I were having a house built, I would never have sprung for the separate shower, sunken tub, or walk-in closet since I consider all of those a big waste of space. That being the case, my tendency to anthropomorphize things lead me to believe that the shower would, or perhaps should, feel humiliated for now being used as a yarn drying station. Oh, and the cat does have a thing for the built-in seat, so I guess yarn drying isn't it's sole use after all.
The reason I'm abusing my shower this way is that my other option is to wash and dry, outside in iffy MO weather, twenty skeins at a time once summer gets here. In CO this wasn't a problem since I had whole months with little concern about precipitation. Locals claim that should be the case here in July and August but I don't want to be stuck with a huge pile of yarn if that doesn't work out, which has been the case the two summers we've been here. Also, twenty wet skeins are really heavy when they have to be carried downstairs. Hanging each one and then attaching the weights gets old pretty fast as well, especially knowing that it has to be done a couple more times.
I didn't wash my yarn for the first ten years or so that I spun, but I tried it for reasons I can't remember and have never looked back. There's a surprising amount of controversy about whether adding weights to the wet yarn is good or simply stretches and distorts the fibers. I prefer the way my yarn behaves after it's been weighted and figure it's not my problem what anyone else does with theirs, as long as I'm not using it at least. If I used other people's handspun frequently I'm sure I'd find myself developing opinions as well.

No comments: