Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day, when a mommy's heart turns to thoughts of...mowing?!

Actually, I'm glad to be able to (although I was more glad the first half-hour than the last), and Son did mow the front yard.  The only reason we were able to was that Dad did the mower maintenance and first mow of the lower yard while he was here on vacation. 

The truth is that the yard is bigger than I like, but I do really like the creek and trees at the bottom of the property for the kids to play in.  It's large enough that I'd like to find a way to turn some of it into an attractive form of food production and have started by buying a book called (I think) A Practical Eden.  When we go to Colorado this fall I want to sit down with my in-laws and try to draw up a plan for creating non-lawn areas that are still pretty but also supply something beyond cut flowers.  I'm not one of those that wants to get rid of all the grass, I really like having at least some, but cutting down on mowing while having more home produce seems like an all around winning combination.

No comments: