Thursday, September 25, 2014

Something else...

That has changed in the last twenty years is that not only has there been an explosion in instruction books for manga drawing (something that pretty much didn't exist 25 years ago, I was certainly looking) but due to e-books they have gotten to be fairly inexpensive.  This week I've purchased four drawing books. Two were e-books, cost a total of $4.00 (plus tax now, boo!) and I had them to use immediately. In fairness, it takes *both* of them to do what I need but $4.00 make it worth it. The other two are reference manuals of figure drawing models. Together they cost about $20.00 used, which isn't bad, but I am still waiting to find out if they are as useful as I hope.

The internet is also helping here. All it took was a search for "manga" on Pinterest to easily fill a board with references for hands, hairstyles, poses, etc. It is truly a whole new world of self-teaching from that in which I struggled to find *anything* on manga and general instruction books were often expensive.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

The internet has made research of any kind so much easier! It's wonderful. Especially so, because scrolling through microfilm made me nauseous. I used to have to close my eyes and take a guess as to how far I'd gone!

Naomi said...

Yikes! That would add *a lot* of time to any research attempt.